Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, August 17, 2007

An Early Morning

So she's waking up every 3-4 hours at night again. We fed her lots of solids before bed, but alas... it must be the 6-month growth spurt, or teething, or the 6-month something or the other. Her waking cries have gone from fussy to screeches. We started putting her down around 7:30pm last night, she fell asleep at 8pm. Woke up around 10:30pm/11pm. DH tried to soothe her, pick-up/put-down (which usually works), but it just made her crying worse. We tried letting her cry it out and back to sleep. This night we watched more carefully because the last time we let her cry it out (after she was fed, comforted etc.), she threw up all over the place. So I eventually nursed her to sleep. She was up again around 1:30am/2am-ish (after I had only been asleep for over an hour). Her screeches dragged me from my soothing dreamland of sleep. I tried to ignore her, but eventually I was dragged out of bed to comfort her & nurse her back to sleep; where afterwards, I crawl back into my bed, and collapse back into sleep. Up again at 5am-ish. This felt like a few months ago...why is she going backwards? Where's my baby that can put herself to sleep? After feeding her, she proceeded to play in her bed, rolling around and cooing until 5:45am. Why was she wide awake? She usually falls back to sleep so easily. But I guess baby sleep is just not consistent all the time. They change so much monthly, weekly, daily...

For some crazy reason, for the person that sleeps like a brick, I could not fall back asleep (though believe me I tried), and so I've been up since 5am. That's really early for this night-owl. Surprisingly I'm not tired. I was just super hungry. I had breakfast with DH (a very rare event nowadays), even watched CNN, CNBC, Today Show, the Weather Channel (wondering why we barely got any rain, though Erin was supposed to hit us. It hit other areas of TX.) So that's what early mornings are like for the rest of the human population.

Anyways. I'm looking forward to Tax Free Weekend for us Texans. Going shopping today - diapers, clothes, shoes... Hannah's growing so quickly, I dunno if I want to get her many clothes... She still has some to grow into. We'll see what's out there. The only thing I really need is new pants. The benefits of breastfeeding - I've been fitting into pre-preg clothes and even needing smaller ones. YAY!

3 comments:

Jerin said...

Oh, the 6-months days - those were the easy days. Watching TV, hanging around, watching the baby. Now (starting around 1 yr) it's constant running around, chasing the toddler. 6 months is a good time to establish sleep habits. If not, it might not get any easier. Good luck!

Julia said...

6 months is a time of lots of changes: developmental milestones, gas from solids that don't sit well with the system, teething, etc. All of which will screw up sleep. The easiest to check for is teeth if she'll let you feel her gums. Lots of solid food doesn't equal sleep. It can sometimes do the opposite so if she's screeching endlessly, it's worth it to "bicycle" her legs to see if you can't move an uncomfortable gas bubble. Sometimes that's all it is. Gas.

grace said...

thanks for the tips julia! we'll try it. and look forward to the time when this phase passes.